Servicing Wyoming Kent County
Wyoming is a city in Kent County, Michigan. As of the 2017 census, the city has a total population of 75,578, which makes it the 3rd largest community or city in West Michigan, the 14th largest city in the state of Michigan, and the 18th largest community in the state as well as the largest suburb of Grand Rapids.
The Grandville settlement in the northwest corner of the township grew the most and by 1884 had become the Village of Grandville and by 1893 had separated from the township. The City of Grandville was able to expand to its present size when it was able to grab land halfway between Byron Center and Ivanrest avenues a year before the township was incorporated as a city. Only the panhandle section from south of 50th Street was allowed to stay in the township and small effort was used to annex that section to Grandville that failed. In 1870 a settlement known as Fisher’s Station developed around a station on the Grand Rapids and Indiana Railroad.
We Service Wyoming Kent County with many products and repair installation services. Cooling and Heating equipment are well established in this county.
The population in the new northern areas of the city was populated mainly with workers for the furniture factories in Grand Rapids. That area was called the Urbandale neighborhood and ran along Chicago Drive from Burton northward. South of that was called the Galewood area and ran to roughly Cleveland Avenue. A final neighborhood grew up to the west of the Galewood and was called Burlingame and used Burlingame as its main street. That area was collectively called the Galewood-Urbandale-Burlingame or GUB.
The county in the 1950s had planned to move the county airport from its location in Paris Township to the present location. The school district and Wyoming Township had asked for it to handle the land development. The City of Grand Rapids also wanted the land and so a fight began. During this fight, the township was able to become a new city in 1958 and seated in 1959. During the next few years, a vote was taken to take three more sections of the city and the end result was only the airport was annexed by the City of Grand Rapids.
The area to the south of Godwin was Fishers Station. It was developed with the railroad that ran in that general area from Grand Rapids to Kalamazoo. It then died off and was reformed with the name of Home Acres. In 1931 that area along with a section of Godwin was proposed to become the village of Emerson but failed at the ballot box. A second attempt was made later with the name of South Grand Rapids but again failed traction. Since the threat of annexation of Grand Rapids was not there Kelloggsville became a school district split between the City of Wyoming and the Township of Paris, soon to be the City of Kentwood.
The vote to become a city was tried twice. The first time in 1956 and failed at the ballot box by a small margin. A ‘scare’ sheet was sent weeks before the vote about the water then being used by the township and how they should be annexing themselves with Grand Rapids instead. At the time the township had the most permits for housing and the need for water was on the minds of many homeowners in the city. A second vote was launched in 1958 and passed by a margin of 1442 votes.